So last week I mentioned a few of my favorite holiday songs ( actually before I leave that subject, I'm just going to mention a few runner-ups: All I Want for Christmas by Mariah Carey, Grown-up Christmas List by Amy Grant, and Christmas Time is Here from a Charlie Brown Christmas). Which leads to today's post-what is your favorite holiday special? Do you look forward every year from the beginning of November to Christmas re-watching the holiday specials of Rudolph, Frosty, and the Grinch or look forward to new ones, like Shrek and Hoops and Yoyo? Do you enjoy the sappy holiday romance movies of Hallmark, ABC Family, and Lifetime? Is there a favorite holiday-theme TV show? Or do you favor the really obscure that only aired once and now live on Youtube ( such as the cult favorite " Star Wars Christmas" where Carrie Fisher and crew help Chewy and the Wookiees celebrate Life Day). I'd love to hear your favorites.
Here are my top five, with a mention of favorite scene or line:
- A Charlie Brown Christmas ( 1965)- Charlie Brown is depressed about the over-commercialization of Christmas till asked by Lucy to direct to the school's play. Will it put him in the Christmas spirit,or does he need the help of Linus and a little tree? Favorite scene- Lucy asking Snoopy to be all the animals, even a penguin ( which soon turns to mocking her and a kiss- " I've been kissed by dog lips".)
- Frosty the Snowman ( 1969)- The popular song comes to live in this animated cartoon, featuring Jimmy Durante as the narrator. Favorite scene- The police officer swallowing his whistle after Karen, one of the school children, explains that Frosty just came to life and doesn't know a traffic light or lamppost is.
- Rudolph's Shiny New Year ( 1976)- The famous red-nosed reindeer must find Happy, the Baby New Year, before New Year's Eve midnight. Favorite scene- Rudolph explains to Happy that everyone laughs at his big ears because it's makes them feel happy.
- Elmo Saves Christmas ( 1996)- After rescuing Santa from a stuck chimney, Elmo wishes for Christmas every day. But is it too much? Favorite scene- The Christmas/ Easter Bunny ( played by (Harvey Fierstein) singing about giving people Easter eggs for Christmas.
- Hardrock, Coco, and Joe ( 1950s)- A Midwest holiday classic, this black and white cartoon about Santa's Elves airs every Christmas Eve and Day on Chicago WGN-TV Channel 9, along with Suzy Snowflake and Frosty the Snowman. Favorite part- The chorus, which goes
- Oh-lee-o-lay-dee, o-lay-dee-I-ay
- Donner and Blitzen, away, away
- Oh-lee-o-lay-dee, o-lay-dee-I-oh
- I'm Hardrock!
- I'm Coco!
- I'm Joe!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.