I actually got into the series about 6 yrs ago when I started work here at the library ( this and Magic Tree House were constantly being asked about.) For those not familiar with who or what Junie B Jones is, it is a chapter book series for ages 8 and up, focusing on a 5-year old ( later 6-years-old in books 18-28) girl named Junie B Jones and her many adventures at home and school. Her first book, Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly School Bus, was published in 1992 and focused on the first day of kindergarten. Over 28 books, Jones has dealt with a new baby sibling, cut her own hair, graduated kindergarten and entered first grade ( with glasses.) Her last book, Turkeys We have Loved and Eaten ( and Other Thankful Stuff) came out last year, and takes places doing a Thanksgiving classroom decorating contest. ( And it is the one Jones book I have not read, may have to wait till December.) Kids loved and laughed at the antics of the spunky, Ramona-like girl with catch phases like "Wowie wow wow!" and " The "B" stands for Beatrice. Except, I don't like Beatrice.". Parents....not so much (in fact, she's number 71 on American Library Association's Top 100 Banned Books 2000-2009 due to her bratty attitude and poor grammar. I didn't have a problem. In fact, I really enjoyed Junie B Jones is Party Animal, Junie B Jones is A Beauty Shop Guy, and Jingle Bells, Batman Smells (PS So Does May).)
We have most of the Jones books on display, in the same area as Magic Tree House ( which, coincidentally, also came out in 1992 and is by the same publisher, Stepping Stones/Random House). Park also picture books and other chapter books including(check library catalog to see if and where the book(s) is)-
- Kid in the Red Jacket
- Mick Hart was Here
- Skinnybones
Rest in Peace, Barbara Park.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.