Friday, May 30, 2014

Book Reviews- A Cheerful New Character and The Pigeon is Back!!

Last Friday and this Tuesday, I was over at two of the local schools talking about Fizz Boom Read!, our upcoming summer reading program ( June 9-August 2.) I also brought a few books to share. Here are reviews for two of the books I "performed" ( I also had The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root and What Does the Fox Say?. Click on title for the reviews).



Lily the Unicorn by Dallas Clayton- Meet Lily the Unicorn. She loves making things, like music and messes. She also loves making friends. Today she met Roger the Penguin. Roger.... doesn't get out much. And he's really not into games or adventures, or even looking at the clouds. What will a unicorn do?

This is a really cute colorful book ( and I love unicorns!!!) I  really  loved the catalog of items featured on each page ( especially the cloud page and everything Roger loves, like empty pages and resting). Hopefully we'll see more of these two in the future.






 

Pigeon Needs a Bath! by Mo Willems- Yay, the Pigeon who loves buses, late nites, hot dogs and puppies, is back! But he needs a bath! Even the flies don't like the grime and growing smell drifting from his body. Perhaps he's going to need a lot of convincing ( or cookies, I forget he likes cookies).

Obviously this is a great read aloud! I think this was the book I read the most for both visits (and it might be making an appearance at our open house). The kids were laughing, even telling the Pigeon " Dude, just take a bath!" They even enjoyed the 29 panels of him adjusting but still delaying the bath ( which includes adding toys that look like Knuffle and Piggie) and the surprise happy ending. Another joyful read from Willems.

Lily the Unicorn by Dallas Clayon
Age Range: 5 and up



Pigeon Needs a Bath! by Mo Willems
Age Range: 5 and up
Lexile: 125

Both: ***** ( 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.