Last year, author Adam Mansbach released an illustrated bedtime book for adults, called Go the (Bleep) To Sleep. A instant hit ( and according to Wikipedia, supposedly optioned for a movie), some parents actually wanted to read this to their kids. So Mansbach and illustrator Richard Cortes went back and released a G- rated version, Seriously, Just Go to Sleep ( which I first heard about this, I figure " Cool, this would be perfect to use for story time for SRP since the theme this year is about night-related activities.")
I'm a little disappointed. While the illustrations are still beautiful ( including some new ones, such as a cameo by Samuel L. Jackson, who did the audio of the original) and is bigger ( the original one is the size of a candy box), the new, family-friendly language is... not so great. At times it works, but other times it is a bit choppy. It also lacks the humor of the foul-mouthed original, and I'm not really sure how well kids will get the gist of it. If you're curious about how it sounds without the bad words, check it out. Otherwise, just get the original, unrated version ( which is catalogued under "poetry") and read it once the kids are in bed.
Seriously, Just Go to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
Age Range: 6 and up
**1/2 ( 2 and a half stars)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.