Monday, June 18, 2012

Music Review- Lullaby Round-up ( Part 2)

In last week's entry of   lullaby CD reviews, I mentioned children albums from Kenny Loggins, Jewel, and two CDs from the  Rockabye Baby series. In this entry, we have a jazz singer/actor, a collection of singing actors, and a folk singer who has the nickname "Lady Lullaby".
Again, anything in bold can be found in the regular AV section.

Songs I Heard ( Harry Connick Jr.)-Released in 2001, Connick sings songs from movies of his childhood , such as Wizard of Oz  and Sound of Music, in a  jazzy-New Orleans style.  Fun, fun, will have you  wanting to sing these songs ( and see the movies) over and over.
Favorite Track(s)- From Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, two clever mash-up tracks- " Pure Imagination/Candy Man" and " Golden Ticket/ I Want it Now" . Also good is " Maybe" from Annie.
Songs I Heard ***** ( 5 stars)

Unexpected Dreams ( Various Artists)-This one I am mixed about recommending. Released in 2006 to benefit the educational program " Music Matters", it features 15 stars of stage and screen singing non-traditional lullabies. Some stars, like Jeremy Irons and Tarji  Henson, are quite good. Others, like Marissa Winokur and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, not so good ( yes I know Winokur is a Broadway singer, but the song she sings on this CD is not great.) With this one, I would say get out of curiosity and then decide if you want to use as a lullaby CD.
Favorite Track(s)-Who knew the likes of Scarlett Johansson and Jennifer Garner would have amazing singing voices? Johansson's version of " Summertime" is really amazing, as is Garner singing " My Heart is So Full of You."  Also amazing is  Irons's bluegrass-like take on Bob Dylan's " To Make You Feel My Love."
Unexpected Dreams-*** ( 3 stars)

Midnight Lullaby (Jane Roman Pitt)- I'm not familiar with this  independent folk singer/songwriter, but according to her website, Pitt started playing guitar at 15 and has a degree in music history and composition. On this album, she performs songs from Sade, Bob Dylan, and other well-known artists ( plus two original songs) as soothing, sweet-sounding lullabies. Vocal-wise, she reminds me of Judy Collins or Joni Mitchell, and I recommended this CD for those who do want to use nursery or traditional lullabies for going to sleep.
Favorite Track(s)- At the close of  the album, she combines two Beatles songs into one: "Golden Slumbers" and "Goodnight" ( and they fit perfectly together).
**** ( 4 stars)

I have one more entry planned, some recommendation of  instrumental CDs, coming soon.As for any future CD reviews, wait and see.

Keep the tunes going

1 comment:

  1. Correction-
    I was looking in our catalog as to how Songs I Heard was classified and we do not have it ( or no longer have because I remember checking it out before actually buying a copy.) We do have it on Freegal, a downloadable music site provided at most libraries ( like us.) All you need to do is enter your library card # and pin number.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.