Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Music Review-Lullaby Round-up (Part 1)

For the blog's first music review( or in this case, reviews) , I've been listening to various lullaby CDs of the children's and AV department to use as background music for my programs ( since this summer's theme is "Dream  Big-Read!" In fact, I have found so many good ones that I have to divide this entry into two, possibly three parts). However, I know there are some parents that may tire of hear Barney, Mickey, and the odd but hip Yo Gabba Gabba ( especially if they have listened to them all day. I know my parents did, so they would play Perry Como records to lull me to sleep). So here is part one  of  some reviews of a few CDs worth falling asleep ( perfect for little ones and their parents and even adults who do not have kids.)

Note- Any title in bold can found in the regular AV section.

Return to Pooh Corner and More Songs from Pooh Corner( Kenny Loggins)- Known in the 80s' for providing songs for the movies Footloose and Top Gun, Loggins, who is a father of five,  released Pooh Corner in 1994.  The songs range from traditional lullabies ( " All the Pretty Little Ponies","To-Ra-Loo-Ra") to  contemporary songs like " Rainbow Connection" and the John Lennon classic " Love ." A second album, More Songs from Pooh Corner, was released in 1998 and features " You'll be in My Heart", " Inchworm" and " Beauty and the Beast".
Favorite track(s)- On Pooh Corner, I like the "Neverland Medley" ( which is a mash-up of " Somewhere Out There, Pure Imagination" and " Never Never Land"). From More Songs, my favorite track is " Baby Mine" from Dumbo( I've tried to use the song a couple of times when I did MGOL for a while, but I usually do one verse before I end up in tears.)
Both Cds-***** ( 5 stars)

The Merry Goes Round(Jewel)-Yes, the gap-toothed Alaskan songtress known for " Who Will Save Your Soul" put out a children's album ( two actually.) Merry is her second album with Fisher Price that came out last year ( haven't had a chance to hear 2009's Lullaby but plan to), and features traditional and original tunes for wee ones. It's a little bouncy than typical lullaby CDs, but it's very sweet and soothing.
Favorite track(s)-"Supermarket Song" ( It's very catchy, and instantly a little cartoon image of a baby in a shopping cart following grocery food popped into my mind). Also good is the dreamy " Just Like Penguins Do."
***** ( 5 stars)

Rockabye Baby series-  For parents that do not feel like playing the traditional lullabies like " Hush Little Baby" and "Rock-a-bye Baby", they should check out this CD series. Rockabye Baby takes the music of popular artists like No Doubt and Coldplay and turns them into music-box sounding lullabies. Last week, I checked out the U2 edition, and currently, I have the lullaby renditions of the Beatles , and both are pretty good. The library has 12 CDs in the series.
The official website is  http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/.
Favorite track(s)- From U2, I liked "One". As for Beatles, if I had to pick one track, it's " And I Loved Her."
Lullaby Renditions of U2-*** ( 3 stars)
Lullaby Rendtions of Beatles ***** ( 5 stars)

Stay tuned for Part 2.
Keep reading (or in this case, keep the tunes going.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.