Jasper Rabbit loves carrots. He picks them every morning, noon, and night from Crackenhopper Field. Until one day.... the carrots start following him!!! (Dun, Dun, Dun.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!)
This is a really funny book. The story is presented like an old horror movie of the 40s/50s, told in black and white illustrations ( and orange, for the carrots.) There is even dramatic shadows to enhance the creepy-quality of the tale and a cool cover, done up like an old horror-movie poster. The ending is really cute, had me in giggles. I don't think even the littlest kid will be scared ( unless they actually find carrots creepy). A definite must-read ( and who knows, I may be using it sometime in the future, whether for Halloween or not. I may even had sound effects and music. Dun, Dun, Dun....Crunch!)
Creepy Carrots-Aaron Reynolds
Age Range: 4 and up
Lexile: 410
***** ( 5 stars)
Here is the book trailer/interview with illustrator Peter Brown ( There is also one available at Vimeo that spoofs The Twilight Zone. Watch them both if you dare!!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.